If you are in the Australian Public Service and have held your position for 12 months you can apply for recognition of your workplace skills and knowledge.
The Diploma qualification is aimed at those currently working at EL1, EL2, SES.
An Executive Level 1 would generally be required to undertake work that is very complex or sensitive and operate under broad direction. They exercise a considerable degree of independence and perform a leadership role. Employees at this level exercise sound decision making and judgement to produce high level policy advice. EL 1 employees engage in complex problem solving and issues management and may coordinate and undertake detailed or sensitive projects that impact on strategic, political or operational outcomes for the agency. Employees also responsible for actively managing key stakeholder relationships within and outside the agency and may manage one or more work teams.
An Executive Level 2 employee would generally be required to undertake work with a high level of complexity or sensitivity and operate under broad direction. They exercise a significant degree of independence and perform an important leadership role. Employees at this level will be responsible for influencing and developing strategy, policies, priorities and operational practices in support of agency objectives based on high level decision-making and judgement. EL 2 employees provide a high level of advice to senior management and Ministers as well as coordinating and assuming responsibility for highly complex or sensitive projects or work programs that have strategic, political and/or operational significance. Employees are also responsible for initiating, establishing and maintaining strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders and may lead a work team or teams.
Leadership and Accountability
- Provide a strategic level of specialist, professional and/or technical expertise, potentially relating to the work of different program or discipline areas.
- Provide strategic advice, problem solving and issues management for internal and external stakeholders in relation to complex and potentially controversial matters.
- Require extensive knowledge of and compliance with legislative frameworks, government decision-making and agency guidelines and regulations.
- Anticipate and establish priorities, monitor progress and work to deliver required corporate outcomes, specific agency functions or a program within an area of responsibility.
Job Context and Environment
- Work within the context of possible strategic, political and/or operational impact for the agency.
- Apply and maintain an extensive understanding of the role and responsibilities of the agency, incorporating a comprehensive understanding of the agency’s impact on the wider political and community context in which it operates.
- Make decisions within legislative and policy frameworks that impact significantly on the agency and may affect operations in work areas beyond the area of responsibility.
Independence and Decision-making
- Work with a high level of autonomy under broad direction with a concurrent need to resolve issues and deliver quality outcomes.
- Communicate and make decisions that may have significant impact on the day-to-day operation of the work area and other parts of the agency; and/or a direct and significant impact on the outcome of a program or major project for the agency.
- Communicate the strategic direction and vision of the agency to stakeholders.
- Develop and manage key strategic relationships with a broad range of stakeholders, promoting the agency’s business objectives.
- Establish and maintain key strategic internal and external networks.
- Represent and negotiate on behalf of the agency to advance the agency’s interests in cross-agency, inter-jurisdictional, international and other forums.
Management Diversity and Span
- Manage a team or work area with diverse skill sets and tasks or manage a larger team where skill sets and tasks are related.
- Ensure high quality outputs including that employees maintain a high level of specialist, professional and/or technical expertise.
- Coordinate and assume responsibility for complex or sensitive projects or work programs that have strategic, political and/or operational significance.